Thursday, December 18, 2014

Mary – God’s Plans Need to be Acted On


As we continue our Christmas series, and finish our look at Mary, we see the most important thing about her visit with the angel Gabriel, and that is her response.

Luke 1:38 - And Mary said, Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word. And the angel departed from her.

I love how this ends, because Mary finishes and says okay, whatever you say Lord, I’ll do it! As a parent and teacher, nothing frustrates me more than when I have to ask and ask to get something done, and then I am met with excuses of every sort along the way.

When God shows us a plan for our life, we need to do it. Why you ask? The first reason is you may end up doing it anyway. Look at Moses, God gave him an assignment, he whined and complained until God told him Aaron could help. But when Moses goes before Pharoah, who does the talking? It’s not Aaron. What did all the complaining get Moses? Nothing but a couple of unflattering verses.

I know in my own life, I have seen this as well. I’ve known I was called to ministry since the 7th grade. Yet along the way I have made so many excuses, and I’ve tried to bargain with God. What did it lead to? Honestly a lot of miserable years, and God having His will done all the same.

There is a second truth we need to remember as well, God doesn’t need us to act to make His plans happen. Instead, he honors us by letting us be a part. And I think once we realize that, we will be way more effective in our own ministries. God doesn’t need me to be a Pastor here, but He wants me to. God doesn’t need you where you’re at, but he wants you to be. God doesn’t need our knowledge, or our skills, or our charming personalities. But he wants to use them. And when he comes a calling and tells us to do something, we should not feel burdened because no one else can, but thrilled that God asked us to! Remember the words of Mordecai when Esther didn’t want to be the one to save her people:


Esther 4:14 - 14 For if thou altogether holdest thy peace at this time, then shall there enlargement and deliverance arise to the Jews from another place; but thou and thy father's house shall be destroyed: and who knoweth whether thou art come to the kingdom for such a time as this?

He said Esther if you don’t do this, God will raise up another to do it, but maybe, just maybe, the whole reason you are here is to do just this. And maybe that is why you are where you are today, because God is going to honor you. Just remember when God gives us something to do, we need to say yes!

No comments:

Post a Comment